cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a recommended base Docker image for a NodeJS app?

Steven.Lira
Producer

Is there an official recommendation for a base Docker image running NodeJs?  We are trying to instrument a NodeJS application using an Alpine-based Docker image (node:carbon-alpine) and ran into problems launching the proxy.  I've been trying to set it up as proxyless (libagent:true) but now I'm running into logging errors.  I started thinking that perhaps we should switch to a different base image.  Below is the logging error in case anyone has seen this before...

^ Log file removed by @Ryan.Paredez. We recommend that log files not be shared in the forums for security and privacy reasons

3 REPLIES 3

Abhimanyu.Arora
AppDynamics Team

Hi Steven,

I guess you are trying to install the nodejs agent through npm? In case of alpine, you have to download the agent binaries from our download zone -

https://download.appdynamics.com/download/#version=&apm=nodejs&os=&platform_admin_os=&events=&eum=&p...

Let me know if this helps.

Also as an alternative you can also try node-slim​ docker image if you wish to use npm for agent installation.

Thanks

Abhimanyu

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Abhimanyu,

You are correct - I am trying to install 4.5.4 using npm. I tried switching to carbon-slim and got the same error.  I removed libagent config and tried again and got a new error: 

Appdynamics agent cannot be initialized due to Error: /development/docker/app/node_modules/appdynamics-protobuf/protobuf_for_node.node: invalid ELF header
Error: /development/docker/app/node_modules/appdynamics-protobuf/protobuf_for_node.node: invalid ELF header
at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:682:18)
at Module.load (module.js:566:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:506:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:498:3)
at Module.require (module.js:597:17)
at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
at requireProtobufBinding (/development/docker/app/node_modules/appdynamics-protobuf/index.js:29:11)
at Object.<anonymous> (/development/docker/app/node_modules/appdynamics-protobuf/index.js:33:18)
at Module._compile (module.js:653:30)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:664:10)

I will try the download and give it a shot...

How do you install the file downloaded from AppD downloads section? Are there any instructions?