cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure appdynamics in AWS ECS?

liana.melissa12
New Poster

Hi,

Currently, we have multiple docker based containers running in AWS ECS and we are trying to install appdynamics agents in ECS.

How do we achieve this?

8 REPLIES 8

Sajna.Sreenivasan
AppDynamics Team

Hi Liana,

Can you give some information on which agent you are trying to install?

Will guide you accordingly.

Thanks and Regards,

Sajna Sreenivasan

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

I am also looking for this information.

I'm already deploying the java application agent in each of my docker containers running in ECS.

However what I am trying to do specifically is run the machine agent as a docker container as discussed in these resources:

https://blog.appdynamics.com/product/amazon-ecs-or-eks-appdynamics-supports-both/

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/AWS/AWS+and+AppDynamics+APM

When we ultimately start to run the container via the ECS task, we get the following error:

Could not start up the machine agent due to: Failed to get a response from /info using a GET request. The error encountered is: javax.xml.ws.WebServiceException: Cannot connect to Docker. The unix socket file /var/run/docker.sock does not exist. Please provide a valid file to access.

Details: 
Container = server agent image (with integrated docker visibility): 
docker pull store/appdynamics/machine:4.4

The following environment variables are getting set: 
APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_APPLICATION_NAME = xxx
APPDYNANNICS_SIM_ENABLED = true 
APPDYNAMICS_DOCKER_ENABLED = true 
APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_NODE_NAME = xxx
APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_TIER_NAME = xxx

APPDYNAMICS_CONTROLLER_HOST_NAME = xxx

APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_ACCOUNT_NAME = xxx

APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_ACCOUNT_ACCESS_KEY = xxx

APPDYNAMICS_CONTROLLER_SSL_ENABLED = xxx

APPDYNAMICS_CONTROLLER_PORT = xxx

The DAEMON strategy is being used in ECS for the task.

Note – I did not configure any ports for the appdynamics agent. It did not appear per documentation this was required – nor could I tell what port needed to be mapped in the ECS task, so none was specified.

Was this issue resolved? If yes, how?

Thanks, Prateek

Hello Prateek

After working with appDynamics support, the missing piece for us was to run the machine agent container using the DAEMON strategy in ECS:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonECS/latest/developerguide/ecs_services.html#service_scheduler_daem...

Once we did this, we got past the errors and were able to start the container.

Additionally, we had to add the following mounts to the task definition

/:/hostroot:ro
/var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

Aastha.Gilhotra
Explorer

Hi,

It will be really helpful, if you can share me the documentation on how to enable appdynamics monitoring for java app hosted on AWS ECS Fargate?

Hi Experts,

We have aws ecs on ec2. We are trying to deploy java agent on it. We have created new task definition with app-agent tomcat image. Do we need to create service of this task ? or we have to add this task in every service that we want monitor There is nothing mentioned in the blog after creation of task definition.

We have 15 services and 5 containers running.

Please help us.

Regards,

Sagar

I would keep it simple and use the “app-agent tomcat” image as the base image and add your application to it.

Hi,

How would you configure machine Agent for a docker container  running on AWS ECS Fargate ? The documentation is not very clear about how to do that.

Thanks
VVS