cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable certificate validation with Node.js agent?

Ashish.Patil
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to find something equivalent to Javaagent's appdynamics.force.default.ssl.certificate.validation in the node.js agent. But couldn't find it in the documentation.

Kindly advise.

Thanks,

Ashish

3 REPLIES 3

Kyle.Furlong
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Ashish,

There is currently no way to disable this for the Node.js agent. It's possible that it will be available in the future, but we highly recommend encrypting the data transfer between controller and agent, and agent and controller through the certificateFile agent option.

Regards,

Kyle

Thanks,
Kyle Furlong, Technical Lead (C++ and Dynamic Languages)

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks for the information, Kyle.

A couple of observations from my attempts to get it working:

1. The value of parameter 'certificateFile' has to be the path of the SSL certificate (file) itself, not the path of directory containing this file (as mentioned in the documentation)

2. The SSL certificate file has to be named "cacerts.jks" (only). Any other filename does not work.

A query:

The 

require("appdynamics").profile({ ..... })

needs to be the first 'require' in the application. Is there a way to get around this (as in, have it as not the first require)?

Thanks,

Ashish

Kyle.Furlong
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hey Ashish,

This is mostly a requirement, the agent instruments the require statement itself to instrument a set of common Node.js libraries. If these are require'd first, the agent instrumentation will have less opportunity to wire things up correctly. One option is to use the -r parameter with the node command to preload the appdynamics module and any of its config options and dependencies.

Please let me know in case you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks and regards,

Kyle

Thanks,
Kyle Furlong, Technical Lead (C++ and Dynamic Languages)

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.