cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create Health rule for WebSphere MQ ???

Team,

Below are the requirements for my MQ, please guide!

1. I am trying to create health rule for more than 100 channels , whenever the status of any of these channels is not equal to 3 i want to be alerted . Can you let me know if there's any quick way to add the channels together in one condition??

2. For the queues, i would like to partion them into local queues, transmitting queues and dead queues based on the naming from the queues and set alerts for the same. 

Thanks,

Teja.

8 REPLIES 8

Yogesh.Chouk
AppDynamics Team

Hi Teja,

You can try using a wildcard as specified in the below documents. 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Using+Wildcards+in+Metric+Definitions

However, you cannot specify condition such as "not equal to 3". You may need to specify 2 conditions to achieve this scenario

1. Value<4 AND

2. Value>2

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Yogesh

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Yogesh,

It isn't working as expected with wildcards. Is there any other way in which we can setup alerts? 

Thanks,

Teja!

Hi Teja,

With multiple metrics, you need to get this work with wildcards only. There is no other easy way. What issue are you seeing using the wildcard? I request you to share the screenshots of how you are configuring the health rules.

Thanks,

Yogesh

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi Yogesh,

Please find the below steps that i am using, i can't share the screenshot considering the confidentiality. 

Overview - Overall Application performance, Affects ,Critical Condition - Specify A Relative Metric path, which i have copied from the Metric browser which looks like below:

Application Infrastructure Performance|MCAG|Custom Metrics|WebsphereMQ|*|Status

After this i specify the critical condition as value <2 and value >2 and any condition match and saved the health rule. 

I don't see the Current Evaluation Status are showing the "?" 

This is working when i enter the below metric path and i don't think it's feasible to select each MQ status manually.

Application Infrastructure Performance|MCAG|Custom Metrics|WebsphereMQ|GTLOD01|Status

This alert is for MQ availability. The channel also is similar to this with different alert condition.

Thanks,

Teja.

Hi Teja,

We see that the metric path provided is 'Application Performance Infrastructure|MCAG...'. Can you try to change it starting from Custom Metrics like below and let me know if that helps?

Custom Metrics|WebsphereMQ|GTLOD01|Status

If that does not work, try changing the Category in overview section to Tier/Node health...

For more info, please follow

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Specify+Metrics+in+Multiple+Entities+Using+a+Wildcard#Spe...

Thanks,

Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

The below works but we are not able to add multiple MQ instances

Custom Metrics|WebsphereMQ|GTLOD01|Status - Working 
Custom Metrics|WebsphereMQ|GTLOD01|Status - We want to add multiple GTLOD[1,2,3,4]
Custom Metrics|WebsphereMQ|*|Status - Not Working 

On changing to Category in overview section to Tier/Node health and following the instructions as per the link shared below. We are still not able to see anything on current evaluation status

Thanks,

Teja

Hi Teja,

What is the controller version you are using? We can schedule a webex session to take this further.

Thanks,

Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

Were you able to figure this out.We have a similar requirement to apply a global threshold on all uncommitted messages.

I have created a rule to evaluate this based on baseline standard deviation and the following relative metric path. Not sure if it will work yet though

Custom Metrics|WebsphereMQ|*|Queues|*|UncommittedMsgs

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A