cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data displayed in controller dashboard after installation of machine agent

jason.du
Wanderer

Hi Appdynamics Gurus,

I am new here and using a trial license trying Appdynamics.

I have installed machine agent via rpm way on my 3 linux servers: 2 of them had Javahardwaremonitor enabled and the rest had Hardwaremonitor enabled. All of the 3 machine agents had been started successfully from log files.

However, there is nothing displayed in the controller dashboard:

Snipaste_2021-11-08_14-56-56.png

From the log files, all of the agents are at:

INFO ServersDataCollector - Started servers data collector - DataCollectorConfig(samplingInterval=30001, componentNames=[remote.volumes, partitions])
INFO ServersDataCollector - Started servers data collector - DataCollectorConfig(samplingInterval=3000, componentNames=[memory, partitions, volumes, cpus]).

May I know what I should do to have the data displayed?

Btw, the machine agent I am using is appdynamics-machine-agent-21.10.0.3188.x86_64.rpm.

Thanks.

Jason

7 REPLIES 7

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @jason.du,

Thanks for asking your question on the community. There seem to be a few other similar questions around this topic. 

Here is a recent one:  

Here is a TKB: Why is the Machine Agent not reporting properly? 

If those don't help, perform a search across the community in the forums and the Knowledge Base.

Let me know if you are able to find anything!

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply.

The KB you pasted I have checked already and went through the workaround in my env, but still no luck. Regarding the checkpoints in the other link, here are mine:

1. Are you using an On-Premise Controller or a SaaS Controller?

- SaaS Controller.

2. Have you validated that the connection is open from the Server where you have installed the machine agent to the Controller? Using Telnet/Curl.

- I tried curl command in my env:

[root@centos8 ~]# curl lee202111022159422.saas.appdynamics.com
https://lee202111022159422.saas.appdynamics.com/
[root@centos8 ~]# curl lee202111022159422.saas.appdynamics.com/controller
https://lee202111022159422.saas.appdynamics.com/controller

3. Have you configured the machine agent controller-info.xml file with the variables e.g host, port, ssl, access key etc?

- Here is my configuration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<controller-info>
    <controller-host>[saas-controller-host-value]</controller-host>
    <controller-port>443</controller-port>
    <controller-ssl-enabled>true</controller-ssl-enabled>
    <enable-orchestration>false</enable-orchestration>
    <unique-host-id>homelab</unique-host-id>
    <account-access-key>[access-key-value]</account-access-key>
    <account-name>[account-name-value]</account-name>
    <sim-enabled>false</sim-enabled>
    <machine-path></machine-path>
</controller-info>

4. What does the logs indicate, it would tell you either it can't connect etc.

- The latest machine agent log:

INFO ServersDataCollector - Started servers data collector - DataCollectorConfig(samplingInterval=30000, componentNames=[availability, load, monitored.process.classes, networks, operating.system]).
Started servers data collector - DataCollectorConfig(samplingInterval=30001, componentNames=[remote.volumes, partitions]).
INFO ServersDataCollector - Started servers data collector - DataCollectorConfig(samplingInterval=3000, componentNames=[volumes, memory, partitions, cpus]).
INFO SystemAgent - Full certificate chain validation performed using default certificate file

I am using a trial license, the machine agents installed on my 3 servers were running the whole night but got nothing from the controller though they were recognized already:

jasondu_0-1636427703495.png

Thanks.

Jason

Hi, @jason.du 

Thanks for the additional info. Let's see if our Top Contributors, @Mark.Byrne or @Mario.Morelli are able to help out.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Jason,

Is Server Visibility part of the trial license? If so, can you try enabling it via the config:

<sim-enabled>true</sim-enabled>

This should be needed, but worthwhile giving a go.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, Server Visibility is not part of that as I tried as well, log is like:

INFO SecondStageSystem - Starting main system with features Features(features=[dmm], reason=Features.Reason(message=Unsuccessful leasing a Server Monitoring license, code=License Lease Failed))

And from the controller console, there will be a notification:

jasondu_0-1636510848899.png

Till now, I am wondering what this pro trial license could do...

Thanks.

Jason 

Hi Jason,

I've started up a 21.10 machine agent with server visibility disabled and it is passing stats across to a controller, albeit a fully licensed one.

Can you confirm there are no error messages appearing in the logs after the lines you've shared above?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I bet I did not miss any other error info in the log files and I am wondering if you are available to join in a zoom session so that I could share with you the configuraiton online, that would be more straight forward.

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

Jason