cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for information on AppD Data and Security

soundarajan
Maker

Hi,

We're Creating Internal documentation with information related to Key features & Basic Information about APP'D in my Organisation for Client reference purpose.

I've below topics in my bucket to document, Could someone please advise on this.

SECURITY :

1). Type of data that is monitoring through APPD? - When we install APP'D Agents, what kind of data it monitors apart from required .net/java metrics for the IIS/JVM related metrics?

2). Type of data is consumed through APPD? - What kind of Data will APP'D consume from the application team environment after injecting APP'D agents in the application servers?

Do we have this info available in documentations?

Regards,

Soundarajan

2 REPLIES 2

asha.ramegowda
AppDynamics Team

Hi Soundarajan

1). Type of data that is monitoring through APPD? - When we install APP'D Agents, what kind of data it monitors apart from required .net/java metrics for the IIS/JVM related metrics?

AppDynamics monitors a vast number of metrics out of the box along with providing the capability to create and monitor custom metrics. Hence kindly refer to the documentation Application Monitoring and all the sub-sections to know available types of agents and the associated monitoring capabilities. In essence, all the metrics are related to performance monitoring so that business can optimize their application response times and also gain useful business insights. Hence it is a comprehensive list.

To give an example, if you are looking for the hardware monitoring here is a list of all the type of metrics available: 4.4 Hardware Resources Metrics

In the similar fashion kindly review other sections of the document for the list of metrics monitored by AppDyanmics Agents.

2). Type of data which is consumed through APP'D ? - What kind of Data will APP'D consume from application team environment after injecting APP'D agents in the application servers ?

It does not as such consume any data as input. Rather, being a monitoring tool it has visibility to track the program execution or process characteristics depending on whether it is used as an embedded agent or a standalone agent.

As an embeded agent it can track the flow of execution and capture most fundamental metrics such as number of calls and response times based on that provide useful performance monitoring metrics aggregating them as calls per minute, average response time etc to evaluate application performance and provide business insights.

Ex: AppDynamics Java Agent

On the other hand it has Machine Agents, along with several optional custom extensions, with which it can monitor the processes and it's characteristics from an external point of view and hence provide hardware level monitorting.

Please refer the https://docs.appdynamics.com to deep dive and know more in detail types of agents AppDynamics offers and the type of metrics each of the agents offer.

Thanks,

Asha.

Hello,

Thanks, much for detailed solutions, it's very helpful to work in the documentation.

I've bit query here in my 2nd question., 

As We're Installing the APP'D Agents into our Application servers, so is there any possibility of exposing environment secureness to the APP'D agents? as it got into the env.

Do we've any chance of environment data's getting opened to APPD?

Regards,

Soundarajan