cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K8s Pod Name is not available in metrics/alerting, making it impossible to add pod name to alert templates

John.Groetzinger

We have set up cluster monitoring for K8s cluster to monitor when pods get killed, failed, etc. The Alert we get looks like the following:

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 11.00.36 AM.png

We have hundreds of pods and namespaces in the cluster and I would like the alert summary to contain namespace and pod name, otherwise I don't know if it's something I can ignore or not. For example is someone is in a dev namespace testing a new app the pod alerts might go off a lot and there is not way to know if this is a production namespace/pod without going into the app. And When I wake up in the morning with 100 email alerts for pods failing i don't know if prod id falling over or someone set up a new namespace to test...

It doesn't seem to be possible to get the pod name, even though it's available in the dashboard view of the event:

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 11.02.56 AM.png

All I want is Email/HTML template to include the namespace and Pod name, but that doesn't seem to be possible today.

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hello @John.Groetzinger,

I saw a similar post as this was also created that read more like a feature request. Thanks for providing more detail here.

Are you looking for workarounds or do you want to submit this as a feature request?

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

This is meant to be a feature request as I was told it was not possible to do this. If it is possible to do today that would be great, I don't have admin role on my tenant, the admins told me I needed to open an idea/feature request. If this is possible today then I would just like to know how to do it, no one i've talked to seems to think it is possible and hence asked me to open the discussion here.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @John.Groetzinger,

Thanks for clarifying! You can head on over to the Idea Exchange and do that.
Please have a read of the  to make sure you submit a complete idea.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.