cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to user creation on build 21.11.1-778

Marc.Hansen
Creator

Hi 

I've noticed that controller verison 21.11.1-778 has introduced a new create users method, previously on older controller versions, it was possible to enter username, email, name and password for a new user, now this has been changed to only name and e-mail. I'm very curious to why this has been implemented? It makes sense that newly created users now receive an e-mail where they can enter their own desired password, but the fact that the e-mail address now functions as their username .. Well that's really a pain.. Is there any way to change this back? I administer a fairly large amount of AppDynamics users where everyone has their initials as current username and I really dislike this new enforced "email as username" idea that has been implemented.. 

2 REPLIES 2

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hello, @Marc.Hansen 

I believe this change is related to this Re: Changes to User Creation and Password Policy — FAQ, which is independent of the Controller version.

Could you also share why this is pain? The previous experience required a username, email, password, and display name to be provided. Now the admin only needs to provide the email and the user can provide the rest. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the answer, it did clear up some things. 

I do agree that it makes good sense to automate the part where the user has to receive an email where they enter name and desired password, I do not like the forced "email as username" since I just recently changed away from that so that user initials are used as usernames instead. It would have been nice with a feature that allowed administrators to pick their own desired ways of managing usernames using the in-built authentication provider. However I do see that the documentation states, that this change does not affect SAML and LDAP setups, so if I get that into place from what I understand I'll then still be able to mange my users with their initials as username