cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AWS resource-id tag is not available

Lyubo.Dimitrov
Builder

Hello,

I have app and machine agents deployed on an Ubuntu EC2 instance and they are both successfully connected to AppDynamics. The AppDynamics Server has the SIM enabled and is successfully correlation to the APM application.

The problem is that when I go to the details view of the Server and scroll to the bottom I can see some AWS tags like:
AWS|instance-type

AWS|ami-id

AWS|region

AWS|security-group

AWS|availability-zone

however I am missing the AWS|resource-id tag which is listed in the documentation on the table under 'Amazon Web Services':
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Server+Tagging

How can I get the resource-id displayed in AppDynamics?

4 REPLIES 4

Lyubo.Dimitrov
Builder

Just to add that I already added a role to the EC2 instance as described in the documentation but it didn't make a change. Also I am using AppDynamics cloud so I don't have access to 'Configuration Options for Server Tagging' but I believe default values are in place for my instance now.

Hi Lyubo

The settings should be on by default, as you are seeing the other ones

If you use one of the servers as an example, how many tags are assigned to the Server?

Also when you query the tags manually, what value are you seeing, that should be populating in AppD? Can you share it here?

i would also just log a call to Support to validate in the backend that the setting is enabled:)

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A

Hey Mario,

What do you mean by 'Server'? Is it the AWS EC2 instance?

I did check my EC2 instance which I am testing with and I don't have any tags there...

Then I manually added a tag called 'resource-id' and entered the actual instance id:

image.png

and now I can see the AWS|resource-id tag in AppDynamics:
image (1).png

So, does this mean that AppDynamics Tags on the AWS server are only the tags which are actually available on the EC2 instance in AWS?

And does it mean that this AWS|resource-id must be added somehow on the EC2 instance by the users in order for it to be visible in AppDynamics?

Hi

Yes mean your EC2 instance:)

I have just quickly gone through the AWS docs, and resource-id doesn't look like an actual tag, you use the resource-id to set the tags.

Best would be to log a call to AppD to ask how they are getting that value, as they state so in their docs, otherwise there must be a way to dynamically set the tag by querying the resource id when you create an EC2 instance

Ciao

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A