We have installed on premise controller and DB agent for DB monitoring.
It is absolutely working fine for 2 months and suddenly data is not reporting in controller as DB agent is unable to connect to controller.
I have tried to troubleshhot the same by uninstalling controller and agent and install the same again.
Still whi;e Connecting the Agent to the AppDynamics Controller showing me waiting for connection.
Please find below agent log-
[Agent log file redacted]
Awaiting for your valuable guidance as we are unable to proceed further.
^ Post edited by @Ryan.Paredez for security reasons. Please do not share or attach log files to community posts.