cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting the controller appserver and DB at Linux boot

Highlighted
Adventurer

I have been playing around with creating a systemd service file for the contoller appserver and DB. I currently have this:

[Unit]
Description=AppDynamics Controller with DB
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/opt/appdynamics/enterpriseconsole/platform-admin/bin/platform-admin.sh start-controller-appserver --with-db
ExecStop=/opt/appdynamics/enterpriseconsole/platform-admin/bin/platform-admin.sh stop-controller-appserver --with-db
RemainAfterExit=yes
User=appdusr

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

However, this doesn't work as I need to login to the platform-admin first. First, I'm not quite sure how to do this in my service file. So I was thinking of creating a scipt that will log into the platform-admin then issue the 'platform-admin.sh start-controller-appserver --with-db' or the stop command, then the service file would just reference these scripts. Unless I'm overthinking this and thiers an easier way to do this. Any help would be great.

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Architect

Re: Starting the controller appserver and DB at Linux boot

I personally have not setup controller (as a service) in a non-HA mode but have read that the same is available for HA setup, you may want to look at the intstructions here and see if you can use them for your scenario.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Set+Up+a+High+Availability+Deployment#SetUpaHighAvailabil...

Builder

Here's the unit file we use:

[Unit]
Description=AppDynamics Controller
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple 
RemainAfterExit=true
WorkingDirectory=/app/appd/platform/app1/controller/bin
ExecStart=/app/appd/platform/app1/controller/bin/controller.sh start
ExecStop=/app/appd/platform/app1/controller/bin/controller.sh stop
User=aaaaaaa
Group=bbbbbbb

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Voyager

Hi,
What did you do to for getting the platform-admin to start up? That appears to be the problem for the OP. I am running into the same issue. If there wasn't password required, I would not have a issue creating a unit file. I am coming from 4.3 and below so the new 4.4.3 changes are taking A LOT of getting use to. Thanks.

Tony

Builder

Hi,

It just seems like an extra hoop to jump through, I'd skip the platform-admin (console) to manage the controllers. We have one unit file for the console and one for controllers, which seems to work well.

Regards,

Mattias