cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine Agent Utility without a Server Visibility license

Hi All

Can someone please explain to me what is the utility of having the machine agent installed in my servers without a Server Visibility license?

Although I see all of the servers in my controller UI, I don't absolutely no information available (not even static info like JVM Version, Kernel Version). So at this moment, I'm wondering, what is the Machine Agent reporting to my controller and what it is its utility?

Appreciated it if anyone can help me understand the value of this agent without a Server Visibility license.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

6 REPLIES 6

Arun.Dasetty
AppDynamics Team

Hi,

We see machine agent with sim-enabled=false in controller-info.xml will still report h/w metrics like CPU, Memory and basic legacy metrics at node dashboard -> Server tab as in sample view attached.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 9.22.03 AM.png

Machine agent (with/without SIM) will not report data under JVM /Memory tab as it is specific to app server agent, If you do not see stats in Server tab, request to share below details:

1) machine agent logs 

2) view from server tab from node dashboard and also view from setup -> "appdynamics agents" -> select "machine agents" tab and search for target host name string in search box in UI and share view.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi

Thanks for you reply. Please check in attach some of the print screens related with the server pages. I've tried to upload logs, but the upload restrictions only allow me to upload to png and jpg. 

Thanks in advance for your help on this

Best regards

João Simas

Hi João Simas,

From servers main tab view we see few servers, but we do see no server in application level, as you are trying to associate without SIM enabled, can you confirm if there is app agent associated to same application that machine agent trying to associate in UI.

If no app server agent, we need to provide app, tier and node name in addition to unique value for -Dappdynamics.agent.uniqueHostId= arg as part of machine agent startup settings, see if that clarifies and share logs if issue exists.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi

Currently in this machine I have 1 machine agent running and 3 java agents attached to 3 micro apps. Should I:

a) Configure 1 machine agent per java agent adding to the machine agent the app name I've provided in the java agent

b) Add to all of the java agents the parameter -Dappdynamics.agent.uniqueHostId with the unique name I've given to the machine agent

c) non of the above

Thanks in advance for your help

Best regards

Hi João Simas,

If all three java app agent from target machine are trying to associate to particular application that is same value for application-name in three app agent config on that machine, if above is the case, try step b), hope that clarifies.

Thanks! It worked!

Best regards

João Simas