cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to install the database

Highlighted
New Poster

Consistently getting the error "Failed to install the database" when installing the Controller.

platform-setup-x64-windows-4.4.1.5840.exe

Screenshot and error log attached.

Is there an older version available to install?

6 REPLIES 6
AppDynamics Team

Re: Failed to install the database

Hello, 

We observed this error in i4j log.

Task name: Facts collection
Task target: localhost
Task status: STATUS_EXEC_ERROR
Task message: java.lang.NumberFormatException: null
	at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Unknown Source)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.utils.WindowsMemoryInfoCollector.getTotalMemory(WindowsMemoryInfoCollector.java:39)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.utils.MemoryUtil.getTotalRAM(MemoryUtil.java:55)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.modules.HostFactsCollectorImpl.getTotalRAMInMB(HostFactsCollectorImpl.java:77)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.modules.HostFactsCollectorImpl.getFacts(HostFactsCollectorImpl.java:35)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.modules.HostFactsCollectorImpl.getFacts(HostFactsCollectorImpl.java:23)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.modules.FactsExec.run(FactsExec.java:41)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.modules.FactsExec.run(FactsExec.java:23)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.shared.OperationExec.execute(OperationExec.java:39)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.execution.CommandExecutor.execute(CommandExecutor.java:108)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.execution.OrchaCommandExecutor.execCommandSpec(OrchaCommandExecutor.java:165)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.modules.execution.OrchaCommandExecutor.execCommand(OrchaCommandExecutor.java:101)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.core.remote.LocalCmdExecutor.exec(LocalCmdExecutor.java:32)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.core.executor.TaskExecutor.call(TaskExecutor.java:63)
	at com.appdynamics.orcha.core.executor.TaskExecutor.call(TaskExecutor.java:33)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

at com.appdynamics.orcha.core.exceptions.PlaybookExecutionException.<init>(PlaybookExecutionException.java:33)
		... 6 more
---END---

Please select the installer exe and run as an administrator. Let us know how it goes. 

If you still face this issue, please launch PowerShell and run the following commands and share the output of each command.

Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * from Win32_PerfRawData_PerfOS_System" | findstr AvailableKBytes

Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem" | findstr FreePhysicalMemory

Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem" | findstr TotalPhysicalMemory

Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * from Win32_PhysicalMemory" | findstr Capacity

Thanks,

Harish

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.
p>Thanks,
Harish Kumar, Sr. Engineer

New Poster

Thank you for the help.

I've re-run the install as administrator, and received the same "failed to install database" error.

Attached error message screenshot and error log.

I didn't get an output for the PS commands so I ran them without the findstr pipe. Output attached.

Also provided screenshot from TaskManager Performance tab.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Additional info: running as VM in VirtualBox

AppDynamics Team

Hi Jason,

Please let me explain a couple of things to help move forward with this issue.

1) I see that you are currently installing Enterprise Console (EC) and once done you would be installing Controller on the same server, as with EC on Windows , Controller needs to be on the same server.

2) Looking at 3GB RAM I believe you would be installing a demo profile of the controller.
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Controller+System+Requirements

3) EC would also consume RAM and I see that without AppDynamics components the available memory is around 2400MB which is not sufficent for EC and Controller.

4) The WMI counters on this Windows machine are not returning any values for the RAM capacity and hence the currrent issue.

Could you please try the following to address all of the above issues:

1) Increase the RAM of the virtual machine to 6GB.

2) "Reserve all guest memory (All locked)" for the VMWare guest system
https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsa.doc_10%2FGUID-8AE3622F-A657-4D0...

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Prepare+Virtual+Machines+for+the+Controller

3) Restart the VM

4)  Resync the WMI performance counters

1) From Windows Services , stop the "Windows Management Instrumentation service".
2) Launch Command prompt as Administrator
3) At the command prompt, enter winmgmt /resyncperf.
4) At the command prompt, enter wmiadap.exe /f.
5) Enter exit, and press enter to close the command prompt.
6) Restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service, twice. (It would already be running as the start up type is Automatic)

5) From PowerShell run the below query to check that the Capacity (is in bytes) now reflects the actual memory allocation. In any case, could you please share text output of what these two queries return after you rebuild WMI counters.

Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * from Win32_PhysicalMemory"
Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * from Win32_PerfRawData_vmGuestLib_VMEM"

6) If the first query returns a value and Capacity (displayed in bytes) is more than 3 GB, then please proceed with the installation. Else please let me know, and we will have to work on fixing the WMI counters. 

Regards,
Saradhi

AppDynamics Team

Hi Jason,

I replicated this issue on Win 2008 adn 2016 Virtual machines. Win 2012 virtual machines work fine. Issue does not occur on AWS.

Identified the root cause and filed a bug ECONSOLE-2647 to address this soon. 

Regards,
Saradhi

HI Harish/Jason,

I have tried installing enterprise console in the windwos 2012 R2 datacentre edition  and i am getting the below mentioned database error issue that you have mentioned below and  i have increased the RAM size and have stooped and stopped the WMI and have run those commands and have started the WMI .

But when i run the wmi object  commands in powershell  its throwing an error:PFA the screenshot.

I am still facing the db error issue,can you please help me here.

Regards
Sriram

AppDynamics Team

Hi,

I had the same issue and I fixed it increasing the VM memory to 12 GB. I have tested the same configuration in Windows 2012 and 2016.

Regards,

Luciano Malagris

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.