cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appdynamics suitable for containerized springboot micro-services based distributed architecture ?

shubhamkumar993
New Poster

I see that we have to have a java agent to be provided for server startup script , Now in case of springboot based microservces , I have inbuilt tomcat server with every springboot application and have to provide java agent with every springboot application , So will appdynamics work pretty well in this scearios or it is designed to work for cases where we have our whole application deployed on single server and we can monitor everything within that server.

Is appdynamics good for container based applicatins where we have 100's of servers. 

5 REPLIES 5

Atyuha.Pal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Subham,

You can deploy whole application on single server.

In AppDynamics, the node name represents each JVM instance. As in your case where multiple applications are deployed on one Tomcat server instance.  All the applications will fall under the same node name as there are sharing the same single JVM instance.

One thing we can do is, we can show and group the transactions, respective to each application in the Business Transaction section, but all those will still fall under the same node. For this, we need to split the transaction based on some url context, or the some context criteria which will differentiate the transactions pertaining to each application. Refer to below link for info:
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/POJO+Entry+Points#POJOEntryPoints-pojo-splittingDynamical...

Thanks,

Atyuha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks Athuya , In case I have applications across multiple JVM instances , i.e. multiple tomcat servers in individual containers , Then in this scenario the logging and monitoring will happen or not ? I mean appdynamics ideal usge is like this only ?

will the communication across nodes for above case will be visible in appdynamics ?

and Can we configure , what all parameters across node comunication we want to see and monitor? What are some default params shown in appdnamics ?

Hi Subham,

Suppose you are running application1#jvm1 in container1 and application2#jvm2 in container2 you can monitor each application individually by adding agent in each container. If the application1 has corelation with application2 then you can see communication at tier level.For example, Applications1#Tier1#node1 and Application2#Tier2#node2

You can communication between Tier1 and Tier2.

Thanks,

Atyuha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Atyuha ,

Thanks , I have done this and its working fine , Just wanted to understand
if app dynamics actually creates any performance issue with my application
, I mean when i see call graph , I can see major packages being called ,
Now the agent is reading from each of my method , Can it cause performance
issue with my application , If yes , then do we have ways to disable
certain features from appdynamics dynamically , Like i don't want call
graph at certain point of time , when my application require peak
performance, Can i disable my features.

Hi Subham,

You can create custom match rule  on a particular class and method if you dont want all the methods which are  out of the boxdetected  and disable the auto discovery for transactions.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Automatic+Transaction+Discovery+Rules

There is no direct way to disable call graph. You can disable the transaction snapshot and in that case agent will stop collecting snapshots and you cannot see any call graph. 

Please let me know if there is any disconnect.

Thanks,

Atyuha